Brushing and Flossing 101: What Every Patient Should Know
In addition to visiting the dentist regularly, people should learn how to properly care for and maintain their oral health. Two of the primary ways to maintain a healthy mouth is brushing and flossing teeth correctly.
Proper brushing and flossing can enable your teeth to last for years. Not only do these actions keep the breath fresh, they also have been shown to prevent tooth decay and cavities.
Since these are daily routines, many people go through the motions and complete these activities without a second thought. In the midst of the morning rush, brushing and flossing are frequently done incorrectly and ineffectively.
Dr. Bruce Vafa, top Beverly Hills dentist, recommends that people learn and use the proper techniques of brushing and flossing. The benefits of brushing and flossing are experienced when done correctly. It is just as important as visiting the dentist twice a year for routine check-ups. Dr. Vafa recommends the following tips for successful brushing and flossing.
- Select a toothpaste that contains flouride.
- Choose a toothbrush with bristles that are soft and round.
- Discard toothbrushes that are worn.
- Replace toothbrushes approximately every three months.
- Use mirror to watch the brushing process.
- Brush along the gumline.
- Brush the tongue to remove oral bacteria.
- Brush for a minimum of two minutes.
- Brush each tooth carefully.
- Rinse well.
- Brush twice daily.
- Consider using an electical toothbrush to remove more plaque.
- Floss daily.
- Wind about 18 inches of floss around fingers on each hand.
- Use a mirror to view gums as they are being flossed. Gums should be pink and firm.
- Form a ‘c’ shape around each tooth as it is being flossed.
- Floss between the gums and the teeth.
Brushing and Flossing with Braces
If a patient has braces, it becomes more important than ever to use proper techniques. One of the issues associated with wearing braces is particles of food can get stuck in between the braces.
Improper cleaning can result in tooth decay and stains on the tooth enamel. For patients with braces, Dr. Vafa suggests makes the following recommendations.
- Brush with toothpaste containing flouride.
- Floss carefully between braces.
- Rinse mouth thoroughly after brushing.
- Remove all removable parts from braces prior to brushing and flossing.
- Brush each tooth separately.
- Use a mirror to examine teeth and brackets.
Although proper brushing and flossing are important steps to maintaining oral health, regular visits to the dentist should not be disregarded. Routine trips to the dentist should include procedures that cannot be done at home such as cleanings, examinations and screenings.
Dr. Vafa and his Smile Angel team are available to provide excellent dental service to you. In addition to routine procedures, he offers cosmetic dentistry and advanced procedures at affordable prices. Contact his office today to schedule an appoinment. Your perfect smile awaits.