How to Take Good Care of Your Porcelain Veneers
Porcelain veneers are one of the best inventions in the cosmetic dentistry world. They are very durable, and you will have your best smile ever with them. This is especially true when it comes to properly maintain veneers. With that said, the following includes tips on how to take good care of your porcelain veneers:
- No chewing on hard objects– using your teeth to bite and pull a package apart or to bite down on a pen, for instance, can cause damage to your veneers just like regular teeth.
- Get routine checkups– getting checkups twice a year is required to maintain good dental health. The dental office can look over your veneers to see how they are fairing and give you tips on maintaining your teeth.
- Don’t use polishing pastes that are a coarse pumice– instead use a gentler toothpaste, such as an aluminum oxide toothpaste.
- Use neutral fluoride when wanting a fluoride treatment– otherwise, other types of fluoride toothpaste have hydrofluoric acid that will breakdown porcelain.
- Don’t consume excessive alcohol– alcohol weakens the bonding composite that holds the veneer and tooth together.
- Don’t use mouthwash with alcohol– for the same reason as alcohol consumption, the bonding composite will break down.
- Maintaining a dental hygiene routine– tartar and plaque buildup will occur exactly the way natural teeth does. To prevent this, you must maintain your dental hygiene by flossing every day and by brushing your teeth twice a day.
- Brush with whitening toothpaste.– whitening toothpaste must be used to prevent teeth from staining or becoming discoloration. Get a more natural whitening toothpaste and not the abrasive kind to preserve the life of your veneers.
- Be careful when flossing to prevent breakage– putting too much pressure on your veneers while flossing or brushing can cause the teeth to chip or crack. The dentist can show you the best technique for flossing and brushing.
- Minimize exposure to tooth-staining drinks and food– you should keep the intake of soda, tea, coffee, wine, and other tooth-staining items to a minimum. If more of these drinks or food are consumed, you must brush soon after consumption to prevent the staining of the tooth.
- No cigarettes and tobacco products-besides the fact that cigarettes and tobacco products are bad for your overall health, the beauty and lifespan of the porcelain veneers will be shortened with these substances. Also, nicotine can turn veneers to a yellowish color quickly.
- Get more tips from a highly qualified and reputable dentist/ orthodontist– having a highly qualified and reputable dentist/orthodontist will guide you step-by-step in maintaining your veneers.
To find out more about porcelain veneers and the upkeep of them, there is no one better than the Smile Angels of Beverly Hills. They offer a free dental consultation. Also, with over 20 years of experience, they are your one-stop source for all types of dental services. They are located in Beverly Hills, California where they are one of the most trustworthy cosmetics dentists among celebrities, other people, and agencies. So, contact them today.