What is Teeth Whitening?
If you are dissatisfied with the color of your teeth, tooth whitening may be your ideal solution. If you are wondering can dentist whiten teeth, the answer is yes. A teeth bleaching dentist only requires a fairly short period of time to whiten your teeth. Cosmetic dentistry can provide you with a beautiful and white smile. A Los Angeles top dentist will perform your procedure perfectly to ensure you will leave the office with the smile of your dreams.
The actual teeth whitening definition is the process of removing stains or discolorations or using teeth bleaching for whiter teeth. Teeth whitening is an effective procedure when performed by a skilled and experienced teeth bleaching dentist. Your best option is to talk to your dentist about teeth whitening. Once your questions have been answered, you can schedule the procedure for either teeth whitening or teeth bleaching.
The Reasons Your Teeth Change Color
There are numerous reasons your teeth change color. A Los Angeles top dentist performs the teeth whitening procedure often to remove stains from coffee, red wine and tea. The most common reasons you may need teeth whitening are explained below.
- Certain Liquids: If you drink dark liquids including coffee, dark soft drinks, red wine and tea, your teeth may become stained.
- Using Tobacco: If you smoke, cigarettes contain both tar and nicotine. When nicotine is combined with oxygen, the result is often yellow stains on your teeth. Tar is already dark, and teeth whitening may be necessary to remove the resulting stains.
- Mouth Injuries: When you receive an injury to your mouth, the affected teeth may change color. Your teeth may react by producing a layer of dentin. Dentin is the darker layer located directly beneath your tooth enamel.
- Age: The outer layer of your teeth is called enamel. The dentin underneath is a softer layer. As you brush your teeth over the years, your enamel can become thinner. When this happens, you can see the yellow dentin. Your best option is talking to a Beverly Hills cosmetic dentist about teeth whitening and teeth bleaching.
- Medications: Specific medications can result in a darkening of your teeth. This side effect is fairly common with some of the blood pressure medications, antipsychotics and certain antihistamines. If you were exposed to certain antibiotics such as doxycycline or tetracycline when you were a baby, your teeth may become discolored as an adult. This can also occur if your mother used these antibiotics while she was pregnant. Your teeth can also darken due to neck or head radiation and chemotherapy.
Teeth Whitening Procedure
Having your teeth whitened by a Los Angeles top dentist is not a complex procedure. To prevent injuries to your gums, the skill and experience of a teeth bleaching dentist are necessary. Teeth whitening is an important part of cosmetic dentistry. The preparation and completion of your procedure may require expensive equipment. In most cases, your teeth whitening procedure will require between 60 and 90 minutes. Your dentist will explain the procedure before whitening your teeth.
Your Beverly Hills cosmetic dentist will then choose the best treatment plan for your specific needs. You will probably talk about several different approaches for whitening your teeth. The amount of time required for whitening your teeth is dependent on the method selected, the type of discoloration and the severity. The basic steps for whitening your teeth are as follows.
Your dentist will note the exact color of your teeth.
A pumice is used to polish your teeth. A pumice is made from a grainy material. This will effectively remove all of your surface plaque.
Gauze will be placed in your mouth to ensure your teeth remain dry. Your dentist may use a refractor to keep your tongue, lips and cheeks from coming in contact with the whitening solution. A barrier is then placed along your gum line to protect your gums from the solution.
A whitening solution is used to coat the front surface of your teeth. In most cases, the bleaching agent is either carbamide peroxide or hydrogen peroxide. Your whitening product may need a laser or curing light for activating the peroxide. After the solution has been applied, it will stay on your teeth for between 30 and 60 minutes. Depending on the solution, an occasional reapplication may be necessary.
After the required amount of time has passed or your teeth have reached their optimum shade, your teeth will be rinsed. To decrease any tooth sensitivity, your dentist may use a fluoride application on your teeth.
You may need more than one visit to reach the shade you desire. Once your teeth whitening procedure is complete, you will receive instructions from your dentist. The recommendation is you should avoid any beverages or foods with a high pigment level for a minimum of 24 hours. You should also avoid smoking any type of tobacco. The most common foods and beverages to avoid include:
- Tomato sauce
- Yellow mustard
- Black grapes
- Tomato juice
- Red wine
The Best Candidates for Teeth Whitening
Nearly any adult with permanent teeth is a good candidate for teeth whitening. Once your oral health has been assessed by your dentist, the best whitening method for your needs will be recommended. Your actual treatment will depend on the severity and type of staining. The most frequently performed cosmetic dentistry treatments include:
- Professional Cleaning: You can have stains caused by both tobacco and foods removed with professional teeth whitening.
- Whitening Toothpaste: Your dentist may recommend using a whitening toothpaste between professional cleanings to help eliminate any surface stains. Certain whitening strips or whitening gels may also be recommended.
- Bonding and Veneers: If your teeth are damaged or irregular, your dentist may recommend bonding or veneers to obtain the results you desire.
- Teeth Bleaching: Yellowing or stubborn stains on your teeth may require teeth bleaching.
The best whitening technique for your individual needs will be recommended by your dentist. Bleaching may be recommended if your teeth are yellow. Bleach may not evenly whiten your teeth if they are mottled due to medication, or gray or brown in color. Your dentist will not recommend bleaching if your front teeth have been bonded or if you have caps, crowns or tooth-colored fillings. The shade of your materials will not be changed by bleach.
Your dentist may recommend a cap or a crown for serious issues with your jaw or specific teeth. Having one of these procedures can make a significant difference in your smile due to noticeably whiter teeth. Zoom teeth whitening cost will depend on how severely your teeth are discolored or stained. The average cost for a Beverly Hills cosmetic dentist is approximately $299.
The length of time your teeth whitening procedure will last depends on your oral hygiene, and drinking and eating habits. Once your teeth are white, they can still be stained by consuming certain foods or drinking beverages including coffee and tea. You can decrease both plaque buildup and tooth discoloration simply by brushing your teeth after you eat or drink. This will help prevent stains from appearing on your teeth. To help prevent stains between your cleanings, follow these tips:
- Brush your teeth twice every day. Always follow a thorough brushing with flossing.
- Decrease your tobacco consumption or quit smoking.
- You can help prevent staining by limiting your consumption of dark beverages.
- Have your surface stains and plaque removed by your dentist with regular cleanings.