Tooth extraction and bone grafting are two different dental procedures. However, bone grafting may be necessary following tooth extraction in order to hold dental implants securely in place. Let’s take a look at these procedures individually and how they work together:
Table of Contents
Bone grafting is a dental procedure that is performed in order to strengthen and increase the natural jawbone’s volume and density. Dr. Vafa may use additional bone to achieve this. There are three types of bone grafts. They are:
- Autograft: In this grafting procedure, Dr. Vafa will take the bone from the patient’s chin or some other area of the jawbone and will use it to create a more solid and stable foundation for dental implants.
- Xenograft: Your dentist may use animal bone in this grafting procedure. The most commonly used animal sources are cattle and pigs. The necessary bone material may also come from a medical bone and tissue bank.
- Allograft: This grafting procedure uses materials taken from human donors. Your dentist may generally purchase it from a licensed medical bone and tissue bank.
Smile Angels of Beverly Hills offers expert bone grafting and dental implant services. Dr. Vafa has year so experience in autograft and dental implants. Call today for a 100% dental consultation.
A tooth replacement is the most common type of dental procedure. It refers to having a tooth or teeth removed. It is done for a number of reasons. The most common reason is due to irreparable damage to the tooth, such as from a cavity or breakage. Dr. Vafa may extract the teeth if they become decayed and there is risk of infection.
In some cases, once Dr. Vafa extracts the teeth – particularly if several teeth are involved – the patient can choose to have dental implants to replace the teeth they have lost. Depending on the health of the bone along their jaw line and beneath their gums where Dr. Vafa has extracted the teeth, bone grafting to prepare for dental implants may be necessary.
When the natural teeth are no longer present, there is no natural stimulation to encourage bone growth. The bone may lose up to 25% of its width within just the first year of the teeth being missing. Bone grafting can prevent this bone loss.
Why bone grafting after tooth extraction may be necessary?
Bone grafting following tooth extraction may be necessary in order to safely and securely set dental implants into the bone from which the natural teeth have been extracted. It also ensures there is enough bone to support, bone volume, the dental implants placement. If the natural teeth have been missing for an extended period of time, then it is likely that some amount of bone loss may have taken place. If this has left an insufficient amount of bone or if the bone is not hard enough to support the implants, a bone graft will be necessary.
Options for Tooth Extraction Bone Grafting
Your dental care professional at Smile Angels will discuss the various options for bone grafts with you at the time of your tooth extraction planning. If dental implants are an option you are considering, then you will want to have ready any questions you have and ask your dentist for suggestions and recommendations so that the two of you together can choose the best option for you.
You need to be aware that if you choose to undergo a bone graft for dental implants, it will add months to your overall recovery time. The process of bone grafting in preparation for dental implants involves a number of steps and surgical procedures, meaning an extended recovery time.
There are some aspects of your overall health that your dentist will also take into consideration prior to approving you for a dental implant procedure.
Implants Surgery Considerations
- Dr. Vafa will take an evaluation of your mouth, including a full set of scans and x-rays, to determine how much bone loss has occurred. The images will also show the shape and condition of your sinus area, the sinus cavities in particular. Dr. Vafa will conduct a thorough examination of these results as well as your health and overall medical history and make a determination as to how successful the procedure and recovery will be.
- Your health and age will come into play when considering this type of procedure. It will be necessary for you to be of an age at which your jawbone has finished growing. Healthy gums are a must as well.
- If you have certain unhealthy habits or medical conditions, be aware that these can have a negative impact on any decisions regarding these procedures. Diabetes, gum disease, and alcoholism can all lessen your chances of being deemed a good candidate. These and some other factors may not prevent you from qualifying, but they do make it even more important for you and your dentist to work together to determine exactly which procedures can benefit you as well as which ones could prove unsuccessful or even harmful.
Smile Angels of Beverly Hills offers state-of-the-art, precision dental services including bone grafting for dental implants in Los Angeles. We use quality bone grafting materials. If you are looking for dental bone grafting in Los Angeles, the professionals at Smile Angels are masters at their craft. Skilled, caring, gentle, and ready to help you improve your oral health and your smile.
Call today and explore how you may transform your smile with our affordable dental implants in Los Angeles.