Do you have a missing tooth, and you are wondering how to fill the gaps? If you visited your dentist and said you do not have enough bone mass to hold an implant or cannot undergo surgery, then mini dental implants are the best choice.
These implants are as effective as conventional implants. The only difference is that they come with additional advantages because they are smaller. One of the major advantages is the fact that they are less invasive but effective. Let’s explore what mini dental implants are and how they differ from traditional dental implants, as well as their pros and cons.
Dental implants refer to a technique used to offer a permanent solution for your missing teeth. They are a great alternative to dentures and bridges, which are a bit temporary. You can use dental implants to replace single or multiple teeth or to hold a denture in place. Dental implants involve getting inserted in the gums, while the other techniques sit on the surface of your gums. Then, the dentist uses an external screw to insert the implant into the jawbone. Now that we know what dental implants are, let’s find out what are mini dental implants.
Mini Dental Implants
If you have missing teeth and cannot do the traditional dental implants, consider mini dental implants. Mini dental implants are small compared to regular implants since they are half the size. You also experience minimal pain during installation, and you can have it even if you have a minimal amount of bone mass. Mini dental implants are made up of a piece of the screw that is less than three millimeters and a ball-shaped end that appears from your jawbone.
How Do Mini Dental Implants Work?
The mini tooth implant is placed via a less-invasive method compared to the regular dental implant. The mini tooth implant is put over your gum’s surface, while the traditional implant is put under your gum surface. Because this procedure is less invasive, it will take minimal time. The dentist can use just one visit to perform this procedure under local anesthesia. Additionally, you do not require sutures.
Are Mini Dental Implants Affordable
If you are missing one or multiple teeth, mini dental implants can be a lasting solution. However, a mini tooth implant is more affordable when it comes to the cost compared to a traditional implant. For example, if your jaw bone mass were not strong enough to support the regular implants, you would not require an expensive bone graft. In addition, mini dental implants reduce the overall cost of the procedure and the recovery period. However, the actual mini dental implants cost will mainly depend on your issues and needs.
Why Go For Mini Dental Implants?
If you are asking, are mini dental implants good? The answer is affirmative. You can go for mini dental implants if you do not want to get regular implants. Here are instances when you should consider mini dental implants.
- have the capacity to undergo invasive dental surgery
- Don’t have the time to go for repeat visits
- Don’t have enough jaw bone mass to support the traditional dental implants
- Don’t have the money to cover the regular implants
Mini Dental Implants Vs Regular Implants
If you are wondering whether to get mini dental implants or regular implants, worry no more. Here we have prepared a list of how the two procedures differ. Let’s explore more on mini dental implants vs regular implants.
- Mini dental implants are smaller than regular implants. The mini implants consist of a post and a crown. On the other hand, regular implants consist of a screw, abutment connection, and prosthetic crown.
- The mini dental implant procedure will take a few hours. On the other hand, traditional implants take a period of around six months to two years. The reason being, regular implants might need bone grafting or sinus lifting.
- In the mini dental implants, the fake teeth are mounted immediately. As you leave the dental clinic, you will have a rejuvenated smile. In case you experience discomfort or soreness, it will disappear within 48 hours. On the other hand, regular implants take weeks or months to recover. You are also likely to experience pain for around two weeks after completion of the procedure. Proper aftercare is a good way of promoting quick recovery.
- Regular implants are a permanent or long-term solution. On the other hand, mini implants last long, but there is no proof of their durability.
Caring for Mini Dental Implants
You ought to care for the mini dental implants as you care for the natural teeth. After getting your mini dental implants:
- Ensure you brush your teeth two times a day.
- Floss at least once every day, and ensure you visit your dentist regularly.
- If there is tartar or plaque buildup, use a special rinse or fluoride toothpaste.
Pros of Mini Dental Implants
- You do not need a bone graft. The traditional implant might need a bone graft if your bone is not sturdy. However, mini implants will not need this, and that means saving on the cost.
- Do not need a complicated flap surgery
- The procedure is minimally invasive. Your dentist will not need to perform surgery. This procedure will take just a few hours, and you will recover within a few days, as we have seen above.
- Minimal discomfort. This is because your gums and bone tissues will experience minimal disturbance.
- They are comfortable. When talking or eating, you will not worry about your implants feeling awkward or slipping like dentures. You will also tend to be more confident.
- Convenient since you only need a day for the procedure to be complete. After a few hours, you can eat normally.
- Prevents facial collapse. Because the mini dental implants are screwed in the jaw bone, they play the tooth root’s role, which will reduce the chances of facial collapse.
- Minimal complications
- Very affordable
Cons of Mini Dental Implants
- Vertical bone necessity. Even if the mini implant does not need much bone mass, it will need some bone to offer strong support. So this is the best procedure if you have lost a lot of jaw bone.
- Teeth grinding. If you are a teeth grinder, do not go for mini dental implants. If you don’t solve the issue of teeth grinding, the new teeth will prematurely get damaged.
Contact the Experts
Among the newest dental procedures is mini dental implants. If you are looking for quality dental implant experts, visit Smile Angels of Beverly Hills. At Smile Angels of Beverly Hills, our dentist Bruce Vafa DDS will perform a dental implant on you expertly. If you are wondering what is the cost of dental implants in Los Angeles, our prices are affordable. We welcome you to schedule a consultation with us today, and our team will be glad to help you.